Request a Permit
- By Phone: Please call the permit clerk at 806-244-5511, ext. 3213 to request a permit.
- By Email: Please email the permit clerk. You should get a reply within 24 hours, usually within 3 hours during the workday.
Notice - Licensing
Only licensed plumbers and electricians can do work on a property that is not your homestead. It is illegal for anyone without an electrician's or plumber's license to do electrical work or plumbing on a property that is not their homestead.
Contractors must be registered with the city of Dalhart. Please email the clerk if you wish to register your company. Cost - $100 per year
Documents or Applications
- New Residential - Cost is $ .15 Square Foot (100. 00 minimum)
- New Commercial - Cost is $ .20 Square Foot (200.00 minimum)
Plans must be submitted to the Inspector either in person at City Hall or via email. Plans must be compliant with the 2015 International Building Codes.
Visit the International Code Council Building Code page to learn more.
Cost of inspections are as follows:
- New Residential: $30 plus $1 per opening (First 10 are free)
- New Commercial: $50 plus $1 per opening (cap 250 openings)
- Payment for inspections is due at the time a permit is issued.
- New Residential: $60 plus $2 per fixture
- New Commercial: $80 plus $2 per fixture;
- Over 10 fixtures $150
- Plumbing permit: $30 (includes gas line, sewer line, water line replacement and pools)
- Sewer tap: $65
- Sprinkler: $50
- Dig fee: $50 dirt, asphalt and concrete $100 minimum plus $3 a square foot
- HVAC - $35 + $10 for each additional unit
- Residential Cost is $30,
- Commercial Cost is $50.
At this time shingles cannot be taken to the Dalhart Landfill. Amarillo's landfill is accepting them. Please see Roofs tab for regulations regarding roofing.
Cost is $40. See Carports tab for regulations regarding carports.
Cost is $25. See Fences tab for regulations regarding fences.
Residential Cost is $30. Commercial Cost is $50.
At this time shingles can be taken to the Dalhart Landfill. It is illegal to place shingles in a city dumpster!
You must be registered with the City of Dalhart to repair or replace a roof on a building that is not your homestead. Please call the permit clerk at 806-244-5511, ext. 3213 or email if you wish to register your company. $100 Per Year
Cost is $40.
For most residential properties the required setbacks are as follows:
- There must be 10 feet of space between any structures and the back property line at the alley.
- There must be 5 feet of space between any structures and the property line at the sides of the property.
- There must be 30 feet of space between any structures and the front property line. If the main residence is closer than 30 feet, the front of the carport can be flush with the main residence structure.
An automatic variance may be allowed depending on your block. Check with the Code Department for details.
Manufactured Home Site Permit
$100 minimum (includes sewer and electric hook up).
Manufactured homes must be approved by the Planning and Zoning Board before they can be placed in the city limits. Zoning of the property may also need to be changed to Special Use zoning. To apply for a change in zoning or to have a manufactured home approved, please contact the Code Department at 806-244-5511, ext. 3213 or by email.
Manufactured or Modular
Manufactured home: Refers to a home built entirely in a factory and covers single or multi-section homes, including transportation to and from your site as well as installation. Must meet the following federal regulations:
- Design and construction
- Strength and durability
- Fire resistance
- Energy efficiency
Modular home: A home built to state, local or regional codes where the home will be located. Includes system-built homes transported and installed on-site. Does not require a manufactured home permit. Built on a permanent foundation.
Mobile home: Refers to homes built before June 15, 1976, when federal codes from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) took effect. Previously, standards and codes were voluntary. Homes built meet or exceed all local, municipal or federal codes.
To learn more, view the Documents page here
A remodel permit is $40.
A remodel permit must be obtained if the project requires a wall to be opened, or when plumbing and/or electrical are exposed. A remodel permit is not required for painting. If plumbing and/or electrical work is being done, those are separate permits and must be acquired by the licensed plumber or electrician doing the work if the house is not your homestead. If the house is your homestead, you may acquire the permits yourself and do the work yourself, but it still needs to be inspected.